Charles Taylor plc is a global leading provider of professional services to the insurance industry. The group manages mutual insurance companies, provides specialist loss adjusting services, has recently set up a Lloyd’s Managing Agency and syndicate and is a provider of a diverse range of outsourced management and technical insurance services for the global market.
Charles Taylor currently employs over 1800 staff working in over 71 offices in 28 countries worldwide. In London we employ approximately 600 staff working across 3 offices in Central London. We are a profitable, growing organisation that is highly regarded in the insurance industry as a top tier provider of professional services, employing some of the industry’s ‘best in class’ professionals and technical experts. Our delivery of high quality, individually tailored services to our clients is backed by our core values of excellence, partnership, quality and support, and we look for employees to join us who exemplify these values and our ethos.
Overall Purpose of the Job
The CEO is responsible for the strategic and operational running of the CTMA turnkey business. The primary role includes:
- Providing a high quality service to existing syndicate clients
- Ensuring that the appropriate controls and oversight for existing syndicate clients are in place and working effectively (in line with what would be expected of a turnkey managing agency CEO)
- Providing leadership to and management of the turnkey managing agency’s employees
- Overseeing the development and maintenance of relationships with CTMA’s investors and key internal and external stakeholders
- Working collaboratively with the Managing Director of The Standard Syndicate and the MD’s of any future syndicates under CTMA’s management, who are responsible for each syndicate’s operations, to facilitate the success of both the turnkey managing agency and that of the syndicates.
- Winning and onboarding new syndicate clients who have appointed CTMA to provide turnkey managing agency services to them
- Liaise directly between the Board and management of the Company
- Establish and ensure delivery of a specific strategy and policy for CTMA in all areas of its business, and communicate the strategy with all stakeholders of the business
- Responsible for apportionment and oversight to ensure a suitable corporate structure is in place to deliver the corporate governance requirements of the company
- Seek the agreement of the Board to the proposed strategy and ensure the communication and implementation of the agreed strategy and business plan.
- Identify and develop opportunities for CTMA to develop, liaising with investors and third parties effectively
- Ensure that the Directors are properly informed and that sufficient information is provided to the Board to enable Directors to form appropriate judgments
- Provide leadership to the CTMA ExCo team. Ensure the team are effectively mentored, managed and supported to achieve their best results. Work effectively with the group HR team to effectively recruit, develop and manage the team as well as ensure succession plans are managed effectively for key senior roles
- Take an overview on risk and compliance issues and to ensure the continuance of positive and consistent risk and compliance results. Ensure effective liaison with relevant legislative and regulatory bodies
- Ensure the integrity of all public disclosure by the Company. Work collaboratively with other businesses in the Charles Taylor group, identifying opportunities to work together
- Keep abreast of the material undertakings and activities of the Company and all material external factors affecting the Company and to ensure that processes and systems are in place to ensure that the CEO and management are adequately informed
Culture & Business Model
- Lead the development of the firm’s culture by the governing body as whole.
- Lead the development of the firm’s culture and standards in relation to the carrying on of its business and the behaviours of its staff
- Act as a role model and encourage appropriate behaviours throughout CTMA
- Take responsibility for the management and embedding of the firm’s culture and standards in relation to the carrying on of its business and the behaviours of staff in the day-to-day management of the firm
Additional key responsibilities
- Build and maintain good relationships at all appropriate levels in Lloyd’s
- Fulfil, as an approved person, the role of Chief Executive Officer (SIMF 1) in accordance with the Senior Insurance Managers Regime
- Maintain an awareness of the regulatory environment in which CTMA, as a Lloyd’s managing agent, operates
- Develop and maintain the firm’s business model by the governing body
- Ensure that the syndicate(s) provide(s) CTMA with the appropriate level of comfort regarding the approach to risk and the commitment to achieving the best outcomes for all the syndicates’ policyholders
- Carry out duties in accordance with applicable standards set out in the Prudential Regulation Authority Rulebook and the Financial Conduct Authority Handbook
Ad Hoc Duties
Your key accountabilities will include such other duties and tasks are as allocated to you at the discretion of management and that are within your capabilities and within the scope of your post.
- Significant level of industry experience in an executive role with experience of leading operations, strategy, finances and teams
- Demonstrable leadership skills, with proven track record at senior management level
- Excellent people management and communication skills
- Sound business development skills and a proven track record of developing business successfully
- In-depth knowledge of the insurance sector and operations (preferable)
- Exceptional financial and commercial acumen
- Excellent knowledge of relevant legislative framework
- Ability to scale a business