Charles Taylor plc is a global leading provider of professional services to the insurance industry. The group manages mutual insurance companies, provides specialist loss adjusting services, has recently set up a Lloyd’s Managing Agency and syndicate and is a provider of a diverse range of outsourced management and technical insurance services for the global market.
Charles Taylor currently employs over 1800 staff working in over 71 offices in 28 countries worldwide. In London we employ approximately 600 staff working across 3 offices in Central London. We are a profitable, growing organisation that is highly regarded in the insurance industry as a top tier provider of professional services, employing some of the industry’s ‘best in class’ professionals and technical experts. Our delivery of high quality, individually tailored services to our clients is backed by our core values of excellence, partnership, quality and support, and we look for employees to join us who exemplify these values and our ethos.
An interim role working in collaboration with CTMA risk management, Operations and Oversight, and the syndicate underwriting management teams to support and improve the underwriting controls applied in syndicate 1884. The first objective is to identify and address gaps and shortcomings in controls, including underlying procedures, to reduce risk, improve efficiency and improve monitoring from Syndicate Underwriting Management, Risk Management and Agency oversight perspectives. The second objective is to support the current controls monitoring process whilst the process improvements are being carried out.
- Carry out a joint review of the current process, procedures and controls and identify gaps and improvements needed
- Design new underwriting controls where these have been identified as being required and embed in business as usual, together with appropriate procedures
- Support the teams to help improve action tracking and follow up processes, including analysis of key management information outputs
- Improve / strengthen controls that are not optimally designed together with the appropriate procedures and embedding into the business
- Develop (better) means of measuring and reporting on the performance of underwriting controls, working together with other parts of the business and feeding into the risk management framework as well as underwriting management, committee and oversight reporting.
- Support the underwriting management and oversight team with the current controls monitoring process, including oversight of potential control breaches and providing summary (exception) reports and analysis to the Chief Underwriting Officer
Ad Hoc Duties
Your key accountabilities will include such other duties and tasks are as allocated to you at the discretion of management and that are within your capabilities and within the scope of your post.
- Relevant experience in insurance; with a background in controls, risk management or business analysis
- The ability to communicate and explain complex issues clearly and succinctly.
- The ability to build trust and effectively network both internally and externally.
- Professional and approachable with a “can-do” attitude to successfully interact with senior management/colleagues/external suppliers.
- Good presentation skills.
- The ability to manage time, manage projects, meet deadlines and prioritize effectively.
- The ability to influence stakeholders both internal and external.
- A good working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite.