A Practical Introduction to General Average
25 May 2016
Imagine the scene… an 8,000 GT general cargo ship with container capacity is on a laden voyage to Shenzhen, China for discharge of cargo. Whilst the vessel is at sea a fire breaks out in one of the containers and spreads rapidly, burning for several hours and causing extensive damage to ship and cargo. Finally, the crew are able to extinguish the fire using water and chemical foam. You receive a call from the shipowner asking for assistance and advice with regard to a possible claim for general average. How will you respond?
Richards Hogg Lindley are hosting an introductory workshop to general average, in a case study format, on Wednesday 25th May 2016 for the Lloyd’s Marine U35s Insurance Group. The workshop will cover the following topics:-
- Introduction / overview of the concept of general average.
- How to establish when general average arises.
- A review of the key provisions of the York-Antwerp Rules.
- Security collections – what is required and review of some of the issues arising.
- Treatment of costs – what may be recoverable in general average.
If you would like to attend the session, please email Elle Young (email@example.com) with your name, job title and company and a few lines on your experience in the market.